- Learn all facts about diabetes.
- Commit yourself to manage your diabetes. Learn basics of diabetes care.
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol in control.
- Eat well. Make a diabetes meal plan under guidance of your physician.
- Remain active. Develop a plan to walk, or yoga, or activities like gardening etc
- Get health checked with a scheduled routine.
- Do not smoke. As smoking increases the risks of diabetes complications like stroke, heart disease, kidney and eye disease, nerve damage.
- Do not neglect cuts, blisters and wounds on the feet. If untreated they can lead to serious infections.
- Avoid alcohol. As it can cause high blood sugar.
- Avoid stress. Prioritize your tasks. Learn relaxation techniques. Get plenty of sleep.
- Do not forget to take the medicines on the scheduled time.
- Do not diet, make healthier choices.